Pet of the Week

Sports News

Dustin Johnson Suspended

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The PGA Tour has suspended Dustin Johnson for six months after he tested positive for cocaine, reports Golf.com.

Golf.com also reported that Johnson failed three drug tests — two for cocaine (2014, 2012) and one for marijuana (2009).

Johnson announced on Thursday that he’d be taking a leave of absence, but never said why.

“I will use this time to seek professional help for personal challenges I have faced,” he said in a statement issued by his management company. “By committing the time and resources necessary to improve my mental health, physical well-being and emotional foundation, I am confident that I will be better equipped to fulfill my potential and become a consistent champion.”

Johnson was fourth overall in the FedExCup standings.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Crusin In Cruces

Dwyane Wade: Had a Feeling James Was Leaving Miami

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Heat forward Dwyane Wade wasn’t surprised when his former teammate, LeBron James, told him that he’d be going back to Cleveland to play with the Cavaliers.

Wade said on Friday that he supported whatever decision James’ was going to make, but had a feeling he’d be headed back to Cleveland.

“Yeah, I went to sleep knowing,” Wade told reporters. “He called me the next day. But I knew then. Obviously he still had to say the final yay or nay, but I knew. I could tell.”

“As his friend, I’m just supportive,” Wade continued. “As crazy as that might sound, I’m supportive of my friends doing what makes them happy. Obviously, same thing with him in this situation. You’ve gotta do what makes you happy — selfishly do what makes you happy. The decision to go back home was that.”

The Heat brought in free agents Luol Deng, Josh McRoberts, and Danny Granger.  The team also resigned All-Star and two-time NBA champion Chris Bosh.

“It was a different summer for us,” Wade said. “It’s no secret, obviously; it’s been a change in how we looked the last four years by losing LeBron to Cleveland. I think our ownership has done a great job so far of trying to not replace but recover from that. The only thing we do as a franchise and as players is we move forward.”


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


2014 First American Bank - Our Business

Royals’ Eric Hosmer Out 3-6 Weeks with a Broken Finger

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Rich Pilling/MLB Photos via Getty Images(KANSAS CITY, Mo.) — The Kansas City Royals will be without one of their best players in a time when they’re fighting for a playoff spot as first baseman Eric Hosmer will miss the next 3-6 weeks with a stress fracture of his right hand’s third finger.

On Thursday night, Hosmer re-injured his finger on a check-swing during the team’s game against the Minnesota Twins.

“Very frustrating, bad timing,” Hosmer said.

Hosmer originally injured the finger on July 20 when he was hit by a pitch by Jon Lester, causing him to skip six of the team’s next seven games.

Hosmer struggled early on this season, but was finally showing life at the plate recently. In 104 games this season, the 24-year-old Hosmer is hitting .267 with six home runs and 46 RBIs.

The Royals sit at 55-52 and are in second place in the AL Central. With the Detroit Tigers recent acquisition of starting pitcher David Price, the Royals could use Hosmer’s bat in a lineup that ranks 18th in the Majors in runs scored.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio 


Double Your Dollars

Marlins Land Jarred Cosart from Astros in Six-Player Deal

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images(MIAMI) — Instead of selling off young prospects, this time, the Miami Marlins acquired them as they have landed starting pitcher Jarred Cosart along with two others from the Houston Astros.

In addition to Cosart, the Marlins acquired infielder-outfielder Kike Hernandez and outfielder Austin Wates for third baseman Colin Moran, outfielder Jake Marisnick, right-hander Francis Martes and a 2015 compensatory draft pick.

“Jarred Cosart will help us win more games and be a better ballclub, and hopefully that winds up with a playoff spot,” Marlins president of baseball operations Mike Hill said.

Cosart was a top-pitching prospect not too long ago, so it’s surprising the Astros decided to move on from him. In 20 starts this season, he’s 9-7 with a 4.41 ERA.

Cosart along with Hernandez are expected to join the club on Friday while Wates will be assigned to Triple-A New Orleans.

The Marlins reportedly also tried to trade for John Lackey and David Price, but were unable to land either starter.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio 


Home Instead Senior Care

Phillies Place Starting Pitcher Cliff Lee on the DL

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — The Philadelphia Phillies rough season was dealt yet another blow Thursday.  Starting pitcher Cliff Lee was placed on the disabled list after re-injuring his left elbow, and could miss the rest of the season.

In the third inning against the Washington Nationals, Lee threw one pitch to outfielder Denard Span and knew something was wrong. He walked off the field frustrated, knowing that his elbow was hurt yet again.

“The last inning, it never fully went away and it came on a little stronger the next six or seven pitches I threw,” he said. “It was there every throw and I just felt like if I kept throwing, something was going to snap, and I just wanted to make sure that didn’t happen.

Lee was making just his third start since returning from the DL for a flexor pronator strain that kept him out of action for two months.

The 35-year-old Lee went 6-7 this season with a 3.65 ERA in 13 starts. He’s earning $25 million this season.



Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Hometown Headlines w/ Brad Barrett

Asdrubal Cabrera Sent to Nationals

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Rich Pilling/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — The NL East leading Washington Nationals acquired infielder Asdrubal Cabrera from the Cleveland Indians, in exchange for shortstop Zach Walters Thursday.

Cabrera is a two-time All Star and is hitting .246, with nine home runs, 40 RBIs, and seven stolen bases this season.

The Nationals skipper Matt Williams says Cabrera will play mainly at second base.

“I like that he is battle tested,” Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said. “He has been in the playoffs before. He has been through pennant races. He is a terrific two-way player. He is a great defensive middle infielder. He has been a terrific shortstop defensively. He played second base earlier in his career and played that outstanding. He is very balanced from both side of the plate. He is a big league hitter. We did a lot of work on his makeup and character. He fits in our clubhouse. We heard nothing but positive things about him.”

Cabrera, who is in the final year of a three-year contract, is in his eighth major league season. During that time he has compiled a .270 batting average, 82 home runs, 430 RBIs, and 69 stolen bases.


Metal Depot

Dustin Johnson is Taking Leave of Absence from PGA Tour; Seeking “Professional Help”

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

ThinkStock(AKRON, Ohio) — Dustin Johnson, who is fourth overall in the FedExCup standings, declared he is taking a leave of absence.

“I am taking a leave of absence from professional golf, effective immediately,” Johnson said. “I will use this time to seek professional help for personal challenges I have faced. By committing the time and resources necessary to improve my mental health, physical well-being and emotional foundation, I am confident that I will be better equipped to fulfill my potential and become a consistent champion.”

The 30-year-old Johnson’s representatives also told the PGA of America he won’t play in the 2014 Ryder Cup.

Johnson has won eight times on the PGA Tour.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Loyal Listeners Club

Yankees Trade with Red Sox for SS Stephen Drew

Friday, August 1st, 2014 by

Posted in Sports News

Mike McGinnis/Getty Images(BOSTON) — For the first time since 1997, the New York Yankees made a trade with the rival Boston Red Sox.

The Yankees received shortstop Stephen Drew and $500,000 from the Sox in exchange for utility man Kelly Johnson.

“It is a unique set of circumstances,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “One of our two teams has to be in the playoff mode, in my opinion, and the other has to be rebuilding to some degree.”

The Yankees will primarily use Drew at second base, but will also play him at third base and shortstop to give Chase Headley and Derek Jeter occasional days off.

The 31-year-old Drew has played 39 games in 2014, compiling a .176 batting average, four home runs, 11 RBIs and a .255 on-base percentage.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Kids Kare PC

Who’s On the Air?

KVLC-TV

KVLC-TV

Events

Live Broadcasts

P.O.T.W.

Pet of the Week

Events

Public Service Announcements

Now Playing

Request a song

Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Artist

Song

Message

 I am at least 18 years old (required)

Captcha

captcha
Enter the characters above here:

Facebook


2014 First American Bank - Personal Loans