Pet of the Week

National News

Widow of Gunned-Down Boston Surgeon Welcomes Baby Girl

Wednesday, April 15th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Brigham and Women’s Hospital(BOSTON) — The widow of a Boston cardiac surgeon who was gunned down at his hospital in January has welcomed a baby girl.

Dr. Michael Davidson, 44, of Wellesley, Massachusetts, was shot on Jan. 21 when a lone gunman, Stephen Pasceri, 55, arrived at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston asking for him by name.

Pasceri, a patient’s son, shot Davidson before turning the gun on himself, officials said. Davidson succumbed to his injuries that night, leaving behind three children and his wife, who was 7 months pregnant.

“Michael was very much looking forward to the birth of this beautiful baby girl,” said Davidson’s wife, Dr. Terri Halperin, said in a news release from the hospital. “At a time when my children and I are completely heartbroken over the loss of Michael, we are finding joy in Mikaela’s arrival. We have been humbled and touched by the tremendous outpouring of love and support coming from family, friends, patients and all those kind-hearted souls who have been moved by Michael’s senseless death.”

Halperin gave birth on April 4, and named the baby Mikaela Jane Davidson. She’ll have the same initials as her dad, MJD, the hospital said. A fund has been established to help take care of the family after Davidson’s death.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Crusin In Cruces

Marchers Across Country Protest Police Killings

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Photo by Cem Ozdel/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images(NEW YORK) —  Demonstrators took to the streets in dozens of cities across the country Tuesday to protest police officers killing unarmed black men.

The protesters referred to the deaths of Eric Garner in Staten Island, Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and Walter Scott in South Carolina, among others.

The marches in New York City, Los Angeles, Seattle, Oakland and Berkeley, California, and other cities were organized by the Stop Mass Incarceration Network, using the hashtag #ShutDownA14 to spread their message on social media.

In New York City, several people were arrested near 1 Police Plaza — the headquarters of the NYPD — after protesters marched on Broadway and then to the Brooklyn Bridge, where they partially blocked traffic.

In Los Angeles, the LAPD said 15 protesters were arrested after they blocked the Blue Line tracks in downtown LA for about two hours. The protest in front of LAPD headquarters at First and Main streets began at about 3:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Protesters marched through Oakland and briefly blocked an on-ramp to Interstate 880 at around 4 p.m. Police removed the protesters and later blocked the entrance to the Jackson Street on-ramp. The crowd included students from several Oakland schools who staged walkouts Tuesday. As they marched through Chinatown, they stopped briefly by Oakland Charter Academy, claiming the school’s principal had threatened to suspend students who walked out.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Dash Cam Video Shows Police Striking Theft Suspect with Cruiser

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

shiyali/iStock/Thinkstock(MARANA, Ariz.) — Shocking dashboard camera videos released by authorities in Arizona show a patrol car crashing into a rifle-toting suspect who police said had been on a day-long crime spree.

Mario Valencia’s February 19 alleged spree included robbing a 7-11, breaking into a church and committing arson, invading a home and stealing a car, the Marana Police Department said. He then allegedly stole a rifle and ammunition from Walmart and fired the gun not far from the store, according to police.

In the dash cam video, a gunshot is heard as Valencia is seen walking down the street in Marana, about 30 miles north of Tucson.

An officer is heard saying, “One round just went out into the sky. It’s definitely unlocked now, it’s definitely loaded.”

“Stand off, the gun is loaded,” an officer warns.

An officer then drives off the road and into Valencia, in a shocking collision captured on two cruisers’ cameras.

Valencia, who was flung into the air by the impact, was hospitalized for two days after the incident, according to police. Valencia was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, two counts of armed robbery, and unlawful discharge of a firearm.

According to Marana Police Chief Terry Rozema, while Valencia didn’t shoot anyone, he did aim the rifle at an officer. Rozema said an officer told him Valencia was walking towards a business, and while the officer was too far away to shoot, he decided to get on top of him as fast as possible to separate Valencia from the weapon.

Michael Rapiejko, the officer involved, was cleared by county attorneys and returned to work after a few days, Rozema said.


ABC Breaking US News | US News Videos

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Double Your Dollars

Jury Selected for James Holmes Murder Trial

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office(AURORA, Colo.) — The jury in the James Holmes murder trial has been selected.

The jury consists of 24 people, 12 jurors and 12 alternates, including 19 women and five men. Holmes’ legal team made a late attempt to file for change of venue, but the judge denied the motion. The trial is currently scheduled to start on April 27.

Holmes is charged with 24 counts of first-degree murder in connection with the movie theater shooting that left 12 people dead and injured dozens more in Aurora, Colorado in 2013.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Pentagon to Disinter Remains of Some Pearl Harbor Victims in ID Attempt

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Credit: Bill Bachmann/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — The Pentagon plans to exhume the remains of 338 unknown soldiers and Marines killed in the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor in an attempt to identify them.

According to the Department of Defense, the remains are associated with the USS Oklahoma. The remains of the 337 individuals were co-mingled and buried in 61 group caskets. The process could take about six months, officials say.

The DOD additionally says it has set a new threshold criteria for the disinterment of unknown remains at U.S. military cemeteries. In order to exhume the remains, there would have to be a 60 percent chance to identify the individual from a set of group remains and 50 percent for an individual set of remains.

The USS Oklahoma sank after being hit by torpedoes during the Japanese attack, taking 429 sailors and Marines with it. Thirty-five of those victims were positively identified and buried in the years immediately following.

“The secretary of Defense and I will work tirelessly to ensure your loved ones’ remains will be recovered, identified, and returned to you as expeditiously as possible, and we will do so with dignity, respect and care,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work said in a statement. “While not all families will receive an individual identification, we will strive to provide resolution to as many families as possible.”


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Hometown Headlines w/ Brad Barrett

Ten of Eleven Atlanta Educators in Test Score Scandal Sentenced

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Photodisc/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) — Ten of the 11 educators found guilty of inflating students’ test scores were sentenced on Tuesday to as many as seven years in jail.

Judge Jerry Baxter adamantly said on Tuesday that he gave each defendant the opportunity to accept their guilt and avoid jail time. “There are hundreds of thousands of children that were harmed in this thing,” he said. “This is not a victimless crime that occurred in the city.”

Two defendants, Donald Bullock, an usher and testing coordinator, and Pamela Cleveland, a teacher accepted plea deals. Each received five years of probation. Bullock will also serve six months of weekend time in county jail, while Cleveland will serve one year of home confinement. They will each also do community service and pay a fine.

The harshest sentences were given to Sharon Davis-Williams and Tamara Cotman, school resource team executive directors. They were each sentenced to 20 years in prison — they will serve seven and receive probation for the remaining 13 years. Each woman was also ordered to do 2,000 hours of community service and pay a $25,000 fine.

Prosecutors found that cheating on a specific test occurred at 44 of 56 schools examined, including at least 179 teachers and principals. They accused teachers of altering test scores as far back as 2001.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Two TSA Officers Fired After Investigation into Groping Scheme

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Baloncici/iStock/Thinkstock(DENVER) — Two Transportation Safety Administration officers were fired after an internal investigation determined that they targeted certain passengers with the intent of groping men they deemed attractive.

According to a Denver Police narrative sent to ABC News, investigators said one officer would alert a female TSA screener to manipulate the scanning computer to call for a pat-down search. To do so, the screener would tell the computer that a female was passing through the scanner, prompting the computer to find an anomaly in the genital area.

TSA investigators saw the officers signal each other when a male went through the scanner, hit the button for a female, and then conduct a pat down of the male passenger using methods against TSA policy. One female screener told investigators she had done this at least 10 times for the male screener.

Police say they will not be filing charges at this point, as no victims have come forward. Still, the TSA called the allegations “egregious and intolerable” in a statement Tuesday. The agency said it had removed the two officers in question.

“All allegations of misconduct are thoroughly investigated by the agency,” TSA added, “and when substantiated, employees are held accountable.”


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Loyal Listeners Club

Watch Man’s Terrifying Drive Through Illinois Tornado

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Minerva Studio/iStock/Thinkstock(FAIRDALE, Ill.) — A man captured his drive through a possible tornado on video, documenting the whirlwind as it seemingly passed right over his car.

“I have honestly never been in a tornado before,” the man says in the video, shot April 9 in Illinois. “It’s a little bit scary!”

As the black swirl moves closer and closer, he says, “I don’t really know what to do except…sit here, maybe duck down.”

The sky then gets darker and the rumbling gets louder as the swirl moves directly over him.

“The truck feels like it’s about to lift up off the ground,” he says.

Tornadoes were reported last week across three states. One of those tornadoes, an EF-4, according to officials, packed winds up to 200 miles per hour and devastated the town of Fairdale, Illinois, where two people died.


ABC Breaking US News | US News Videos


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



SpaceX Blasts Off for International Space Station Grocery Run

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

NASA TV(CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla.) — The SpaceX grocery run to the International Space Station is a go.

Elon Musk’s private space company sent a Dragon capsule packed with goodies into space Tuesday afternoon with the help of a Falcon 9 rocket, which is expected later to attempt a controlled landing on a floating barge.

The launch had been given a 60 percent chance for liftoff because of weather conditions. With less than three minutes left on the countdown, the initial launch was scrubbed Monday because of an anvil cloud within 10 nautical miles of the launch site at Cape Canaveral in Florida.

Dragon has vital cargo on board, including 4,000 pounds of supplies for astronauts at the International Space Station such as science experiments, food and a Lavazza espresso machine especially developed for space. It is slated to arrive at the International Space Station Friday.

The mission is also the third time SpaceX has attempted an historic rocket recycling test.

The first try barely missed its target while the second attempt in inclement weather led to a fiery crash landing.

Having the ability to recycle rockets is something SpaceX founder Elon Musk said will “revolutionize access to space.”

“If one can figure out how to effectively reuse rockets just like airplanes, the cost of access to space will be reduced by as much as a factor of a hundred,” he said.

The Falcon 9 reusable rocket demonstrated in a test flight last year how it is supposed to perform. Video showed the rocket blasting off from the SpaceX test facility and soaring to 1,000 meters before coming back down to Earth for a controlled landing.

Musk said Tuesday that the takeoff was successful, and that the rocket landed on the droneship, but that the landing was “too hard for survival.”

 

 


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Song of The Day

Cleveland Kidnapping Survivors Speak Out for First Time About Being Captives

Tuesday, April 14th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Heidi Gutman/ABC(CLEVELAND) — For the first time since their escape, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus are coming forward to talk about how they survived unimaginable horrors inside their captor Ariel Castro’s Cleveland home.

Berry and DeJesus sat down for an exclusive interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts.

Their story will air in a one-hour special edition of 20/20 on Tuesday, April 28, at 10 p.m. ET on ABC.

In the interview, they describe their lives in captivity, including how they felt about each other and what happened when Berry gave birth to Castro’s child, then had to raise her in captivity.

They also talk about their dramatic escape in 2013, how they are rebuilding their lives now and their upcoming memoir, Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland, which will be released on April 27.

Written with Washington Post journalists Mary Jordan and Kevin Sullivan, the memoir details the girls’ lives inside Castro’s home, including Berry’s personal accounts written in diaries, on napkins, fast food bags and other scraps of paper, as well as efforts from law enforcement to find them.

Berry and DeJesus, along with fellow kidnapping victim Michelle Knight, escaped from Castro’s home in May 2013. The three women were abducted between 2002 and 2004, when they were in their teens or early 20s, and kept as sex slaves for over a decade. Castro had a child with Berry during her captivity.

Castro, 53, pled guilty in July 2013 to 937 charges relating to kidnapping, torturing and imprisoning the three women. On Sept. 3, 2013, he was found dead in his prison cell after committing suicide.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Who’s On the Air?

NM Lottery

NM Lottery Lucky Numbers Bingo

KVLC-TV

KVLC-TV

Events

Live Broadcasts

P.O.T.W.

Pet of the Week

Events

Public Service Announcements

Now Playing

Request a song

Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Artist

Song

Message

 I am at least 18 years old (required)

Captcha

captcha
Enter the characters above here:

Facebook