Double Your Dollars

National News

Snowstorm Heading for Boston Could Break City’s All-time Snow Record

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

bizoo_n/iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) — The record-breaking month of February may be coming to a close for Boston, but with a new month comes a new snowstorm.

A Winter Storm Watch was issued by the National Weather Service early Saturday morning for the city of Boston and much of southern New England, including Hartford, Connecticut, and Providence, Rhode Island.

This is in anticipation of another round of snow on the way Sunday evening. Boston has experienced its second snowiest season so far with 102 inches of snow, only 5.6 inches away from the all-time record set during the 1995-1996 season.

Boston has tripled its average snowfall to date so far, and it is also the city’s snowiest February on record. The city has also had one of its coldest Februaries on record, with this year likely being Boston’s second coldest February.

The ABC Weather Team is currently forecasting 3 to 6 inches of snow for Boston by early Monday morning, which could make this season the city’s snowiest.

Snow showers will move into the Northeast on Sunday morning and into the early afternoon. However, by Sunday evening, a steadier and heavier snow will overspread the region, reaching Boston closer to sunset.

A wintry mix and even some rain is expected for locations closer to the coast and farther south, including southern New England, New York City, and areas south of Interstate 80.

The city of Boston is forecast to remain all snow throughout the event; therefore, several inches of snow is expected.

The storm will be clearing out of the Northeast by early Monday morning, with the snow likely over before the morning commute throughout the region. Scattered snow showers will linger across northern New England into Monday afternoon with blustery conditions expected from Pennsylvania to Maine.

Even though temperatures will be near or slightly above the freezing mark for most of the Northeast by Monday afternoon, windy conditions will lead to wind chills values below freezing throughout the day.

There have already been reports of a number of roof collapses in New England, including at a skating rink in Canton, Mass., a home in New Braintree, Mass, and another residence in Providence, Rhode Island.

In Dallas, the storm system left travel issues in its wake. More than 700 flights were cancelled into or out of Dallas-Fort Worth Airport on Saturday due to icy conditions.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Hometown Headlines w/ Brad Barrett

Stolen NASCAR Sprint Cup Race Car Found

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Photo by Chris Trotman/NASCAR via Getty Images(LOGANVILLE, Ga.) — Police in Georgia found a NASCAR Sprint Cup car that was stolen from a hotel parking lot days before the driver was scheduled to race.

Travis Kvapil’s No. 44 race car was found Sunday in Loganville, Georgia, according to Team Xtreme Racing. It had been stolen early Friday morning.

 

 

 

Before police found the car, Kvapil told ABC News that he thought his race team was playing a joke on him when they called him about it.

“When I got texts and voicemails this morning [Friday] from the guys, I kind of thought they were messing around,” said Kvapil.

Surveillance video shows a black pickup truck speeding off with a 15-foot trailer, which had the car inside. Team Xtreme racing owner John Cohen said Sunday he believed the thieves were only after the trailer and did not realize the car, an extra engine, and $100,000 worth of spare parts were also inside.

“When you get a car stolen, you don’t go out and buy another one,” Cohen had said before the car was found.

Despite finding the car, Kvapil will not be able to race in Sunday’s Sprint Cup race. His team was forced to withdraw when it missed NASCAR’s mandatory inspection on Friday.

Kvapil first made headlines when he asked for information about his stolen car on Twitter.

 

 

 


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



California Mother Arrested in Infant Son’s Murder

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Zhenikeyev/iStock/Thinkstock(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) — The mother of an infant found dead in California earlier this week was arrested on Friday night on murder charges.

According to Yolo County Sheriff Ed Prieto, Samantha Green “was the sole individual responsible for the death of her child.” Her son, Justice Reese, was found on Wednesday, two days after being reported missing. Prieto said that among the possible causes of Reese’s death were drowning and hypothermia.

“At this point,” Prieto added, “we don’t have anyone else that was involved.”



Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Loyal Listeners Club

Semi Narrowly Misses Ohio State Trooper, Driver in Dash Cam Video

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

freeteo/iStock/Thinkstock(TOLEDO, Ohio) — An Ohio state trooper has been hailed as a hero after dash cam video captured him saving a driver from being hit by an oncoming semi truck.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol released video Friday showing Trooper Stephen Zientek after he pulled over on I-475 to help a driver with a dead car battery, according to ABC affiliate WTVG in Toledo, Ohio.

The video shows Zientek invite the driver, Mike Celusta, to his squad car to warm up before suddenly he yells at Celusta and they jump over the guardrail.

Seconds later, the video shows the semi crash into the two cars.

“It was just Hollywood-type script and now that I can see it, it makes it even more surreal,” Celusta told WTVG after watching the dash cam footage.

Celusta said he believes Zientek saved his life.

“As soon as he says, ‘Look out!” I just went,” Celusta told WVTG, “I couldn’t see what was happening, so I just jumped over the rail.”

The truck driver was cited, reports WVTG.


World News Videos | US News Videos



Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Federal Court Denies Change of Venue Request from Suspected Boston Marathon Bomber

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

FBI(BOSTON) — A federal appeals court in Massachusetts on Friday ruled against suspected Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his attorneys, who had been calling for a change of venue in Tsarnaev’s trial.

A three-judge panel heard arguments from both Tsarnaev’s legal team, as well as that of the prosecution, determining by a two-to-one majority to deny the request. Noting that “any high-profile case will receive significant media attention” and thus “it is no surprise that people in general, and especially the well-informed, will be aware of it,” the jurors determined that “a jury anywhere in the country will have been exposed to some level of media attention” in this case. Jurors being aware of the case “does not equate to disqualifying prejudice,” the judges wrote.

Tsarnaev’s lawyers had argued that the media’s coverage would make it impossible to find a fair jury in Massachusetts. A circuit court judge had already denied the change of venue motion three times.

The judges cited numerous high-profile cases, including the prosecution of Zacharias Moussaoui, as well as comparing the bombing to the 1993 and 2001 attacks at New York’s World Trade Center, saying each event “received national and international attention.”

In a dissenting opinion, one judge wrote that while the trial is an opportunity for closure, “rather than convicting Tsarnaev and possibly sentencing him to death based on trial-by-media and raw emotion, we must put our emotions aside and proceed in a rational manner.” Specifically, he says, the courts must ensure that Tsarnaev receives a fair trial.

Jury selection for Tsarnaev’s trial is ongoing.

Tsarnaev and his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev are believed to have been the perpetrators of the April 15, 2013 bombing near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The explosions killed three people and injured more than 250.



Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Song of The Day

American Airlines Flight Delayed Nine Hours by Heavy Snow, Mechanical Problem

Saturday, February 28th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

william87/iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(DALLAS) — What was supposed to be a nearly one-hour flight turned into a nine-hour ordeal for passengers on board an American Airlines plane delayed for hours because of icy conditions and a mechanical problem.

American Airlines flight 382 was scheduled to leave for Oklahoma City from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport at 1:45 p.m. CT Friday, but the plane was grounded until 10:48 p.m. CT.

“We get on the plane and it’s just one thing after another,” said passenger Brandon Sullivan.

Sullivan told ABC News that the plane sat at the gate for hours waiting for de-icing, which was delayed by heavy snow. After about five hours, a mechanical problem kept the plane grounded, said Sullivan.

“We get so excited, we get to the end of the runway and then we find out we have a mechanical problem,” he said.

American Airlines spokesperson Matt Miller apologized for the “frustrating experience,” adding that Friday “was a challenging day at DFW due to extreme weather impacting north Texas. The safety of our passengers and employees is always our top priority.”

Sullivan said passengers got agitated.

“People were obviously frustrated and there seemed to be no crew around there for a little bit,” he said. “People were going in the liquor fridge, pulling out whatever they wanted to drink. It got a little chaotic there for a little bit.”

Rachel Charlton, another passenger, called it an “up and down” experience.

“We were happy one second because we thought we were leaving and then the next second we were just deflated because we were turning back to the gate,” she said.

When the plane returned to a gate, Miller said the crew had to be replaced because they had worked for eight hours, which made it illegal for them to fly.

The flight eventually departed at 10:48 p.m. CT – more than nine hours after some of its passengers initially boarded. It landed in Oklahoma City about a half hour later, according to Flightaware.com.

Because the plane was not held on the tarmac, the delays did not violate the three-hour limit set by the Department of Transportation.

“Ten hours – it feels great to be home,” said Sullivan. “It’s incredibly stressful day. I don’t ever want to do that again.”



Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Swastikas on California Home Have Neighbors Riled Up

Friday, February 27th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

ABC News(SACRAMENTO, Calif.) — Is a swastika-laden yard display at a Sacramento, California, house “vulgar” or is it an expression of free speech?

The display, which first started going up months ago, now features an army-green figure raising its arms, a Palestinian flag, and — in a recent addition — American and Israeli flags altered by swastikas, according to ABC News affiliate KXTV-TV. At night, it gets illuminated by Christmas lights.

Police received a complaint about the display this week and visited the home, but no illegal activity was found, police said. Neighbors also have expressed disgust about the display to the media.

The people listed as the owners of the home did not respond to a request for comment from ABC News. It was not clear that the owners also occupied the home.

There has been at least one small demonstration at the site, and now protesters have been joined in their outrage by a state legislator.

“Swastikas displayed on a house in the River Park section of Sacramento tarnish the neighborhood,” State Sen. Marty Block, chairman of the California Legislative Jewish Caucus, said in a news conference Thursday, “And disrespect and dishonor the memory of tens of thousands of brave American soldiers … men and women who died for their country fighting Hitler’s henchmen who wore that very same symbol.”

Block, D-San Diego, said that while he recognizes the “cherished” freedom of speech, “My colleagues and I call on the owner of that house to voluntarily remove his vulgar display.”

Robert Roehrs, a neighbor who lives four houses away, said the neighborhood is otherwise a “very, very, quiet” suburb.

“I certainly don’t approve of [the display] and I don’t know who he is,” Roehrs told ABC News, adding that he first thought the display was part of Christmas decorations.

Roehrs, who has lived in his home since 1968, said he doesn’t know the identity of the resident, who has moved around some of the items over time.

“I think the guy accomplished what he wanted to accomplish, in my opinion,” Roehrs said. “He got a lot of publicity and a lot of notoriety. He hasn’t talked to anyone, apparently. We had a lot of traffic around here. Normally, we don’t get more than two or three cars an hour.”



Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Nugget of Knowldege

Utah Man Had ‘Mental Breakdown’ After Ex-Wife’s Death, Daughter Testifies

Friday, February 27th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

iStock/Thinkstock(SALT LAKE CITY) — The daughter of a pediatrician accused of murdering his ex-wife took the stand in a Utah courtroom Thursday, describing her father’s incoherent state following the death.

Malkie Wall, 19, testified that her father, John Wall, was “not with it” after the 2011 death of her mother, Uta von Schwedler.

“He opened the door and said, ‘Your mom’s dead, and they think I did it.’ Basically, [he] was having a mental breakdown,” she said.

Von Schwedler was found dead in her bathtub with a knife nearby. Elevated levels of Xanax were found in her system.

Prosecutors allege that Wall staged the murder to make it look like a suicide.

“This crime was committed by someone who simply wanted Uta dead,” prosecutors said in the trial’s opening statements.

Von Schwedler, a medical researcher, and Wall divorced in 2006.

Wall has pleaded not guilty. His defense attorney, Fred Metos, argued that the medical examiner didn’t definitively rule von Schwedler’s death a homicide.



Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



‘Hot Convict’ Jeremy Meeks Plans His Modeling Future from Prison

Friday, February 27th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Stockton Police Department via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — “Hot Convict” Jeremy Meeks says he’s eager to serve out his sentence and is looking ahead to starting a career in modeling and acting.

“I’m in a place where I will be able to provide for my family and really change my life,” Meeks told ABC News from a Nevada prison. “I never thought that everyone in the world would recognize me for my looks, so I feel extremely blessed and very thankful.”

The chisel-jawed, blue-eyed Californian became an Internet sensation last year when his mug shot went viral after the Stockton Police Department posted it on its Facebook page. Meeks was sentenced several weeks ago to 27 months of prison on weapon charges, but hopes for a November release that accounts for time served and good behavior.

Meeks is now working with agent Jim Jordan of White Cross Management and said he plans to take full advantage of his viral fame.

In preparation for his release and foray into modeling, Meeks said that he is working on getting ripped.

“I eat healthy. I do a lot of push-ups, pull-ups, dips, burpees, and I stay very active,” he said.

Meeks said he wants to try his hand at both modeling and acting. “I wish I could be on a show like Sons of Anarchy,” said Meeks.

Jordan is confident Meeks’ notoriety can propel him into a successful career. “There is a sea of opportunities waiting for him,” Jordon said, who is working to set Meeks up with “modeling agencies around the world, endorsement deals and reality show interests.”

As for that mug shot, Meeks said he wasn’t intentionally giving his best “blue steel” for the picture.

“I was just thinking about missing my family,” he said. “I was really thinking about my son a lot at that moment, that was the only thing that was on my mind.”

Until then, Meeks said he is keeping his head down and relying on backing from the outside.

“I’ve got a lot of support my family, my friends, and from my fans — I get hundreds and hundreds of letters every month. I’m very thankful for all the support I’ve been getting,” Meeks said.


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Pet of the Week

Jameis Winston Rape Accuser Speaks Out in Film

Friday, February 27th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Joe Robbins/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The woman who accused football star Jameis Winston of rape is speaking out in a new film.

Erica Kinsman shared her story in The Hunting Ground, which filmmakers say seeks to expose the epidemic of violence and institutional cover-ups sweeping college campuses across America.

According to Kinsman, the alleged incident occurred at Winston’s off-campus apartment on Dec. 7, 2012 following a night of drinking. At the time, she was a student at Florida State University, and Winston was the university’s superstar quarterback.

“I just want to know, ‘Why me?’” she said in the film, which is appearing in theaters starting Friday. “It doesn’t really make sense.”

Kinsman told filmmakers Amy Ziering and Kirby Dick that when she identified her alleged rapist, she was told by the lead detective, “This is a huge football town. You really should think long and hard about whether you want to press charges or not.”

While the Tallahassee Police’s handling of the case has been criticized, no charges were filed in the case, with Florida State Attorney Willie Meggs citing insufficient evidence. Winston — who has maintained that the encounter was consensual — was also cleared in a university code of conduct hearing.

Winston is slated to be one of the top picks in this year’s NFL Draft.

Ziering contends that Florida State University’s desire to protect its reputation, and the athlete involved, contributed to how the case was handled.

“Here’s a family that really believed in law enforcement, really believed in their school, in their institution, could not imagine it would not do the right thing by them,” Ziering said.

Kinsman eventually left the university. The filmmakers noted Kinsman faced backlash after coming forward.

“The reprisals she experienced…she received all kinds of very aggressive comments on social media,” Dick said.

A university official told ABC News FSU was not aware Kinsman ever said she felt driven out of the university, adding that university officials “went to extraordinary lengths to support her.”

“FSU uses a nationally recognized victim-centered approach in handling sexual assault complaints, and our victim advocate professionals were by Ms. Kinsman’s side throughout this case,” said Browning Brooks, assistant vice president for university communications. “She was provided academic accommodations regarding class schedules and exams, access to counseling and was informed about all of her options in deciding whether to initiate criminal or student conduct charges under Title IX.”

The filmmakers are thankful that the subjects in The Hunting Ground agreed to participate in the movie, and believe that the victims’ voices can help people to consider the significance of college sexual assaults.

“I hope it radically changes the way our culture and our country views this issue and views these crimes,” Ziering said.

The Hunting Ground, which was shown at Sundance Film Festival, features a Lady Gaga song with Diane Warren, “Til It Happens to You.”


Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Who’s On the Air?

KVLC-TV

KVLC-TV

Events

Live Broadcasts

P.O.T.W.

Pet of the Week

Events

Public Service Announcements

Now Playing

Request a song

Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Artist

Song

Message

 I am at least 18 years old (required)

Captcha

captcha
Enter the characters above here:

Facebook