Hometown Headlines w/ Brad Barrett

ABC News Radio's Blog

Scoreboard Roundup — 7/30/15

Friday, July 31st, 2015 by

Posted in Sports News

iStock/ThinkStock(NEW YORK) — AMERICAN LEAGUE
Detroit 9, Baltimore 8
Toronto 5, Kansas City 2
Boston 8, Chicago White Sox 2
Texas 7, N.Y. Yankees 6
Houston 3, L.A. Angels 0
Minnesota 9, Seattle 5
Cleveland 3, Oakland 1

NATIONAL LEAGUE
San Diego 8, N.Y. Mets 7
Washington 1, Miami 0
Philadelphia 4, Atlanta 1
Cincinnati 15, Pittsburgh 5
St. Louis 9, Colorado 8
Chicago Cubs 5, Milwaukee 2 

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Loyal Listeners Club

US Intel Assessment Suggested that MH370 Taken Off Course: Source

Friday, July 31st, 2015 by

Posted in World News

YANNICK PITOU/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — U.S. intelligence agencies put together an assessment in the wake of the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 indicating that the plane was deliberately taken off course, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.

The assessment — made months ago and concerning what most likely happened to the plane, which disappeared in March 2014 — also said that the Boeing 777 was potentially deliberately downed, the source said.

However, according to the source, the assessment “doesn’t matter” and was built on information that intelligence officials could glean about the foreign investigation into the disappearance.

Those foreign investigators “are the ones who ultimately will make the conclusion” of what happened to MH370.

The revelation comes as investigators were trying to piece together whether an airplane part that washed up on the shore of Reunion Island came from the doomed flight.

Based on a part number that was visible in pictures, Boeing workers believe it came from a 777, the same type of plane as MH370, according to a U.S. official.

In the wake of the discovery, a worker found a tattered piece of luggage on the same beach.

The origin of the piece of luggage has not been determined, but it was seized by local police for examination.

Investigators were treating the airplane part, believed to be a “flaperon,” as a major lead into the disappearance of the plane.

Flaperons help to stabilize the plane, especially at low speeds such as takeoff and landing.

“If this wreckage [is] from MH370, it’s an important breakthrough, particularly for families,” said Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss. “The families who have been involved with this long, long, long, long wait, for them to have some degree of closure would be great comfort.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Tami Roman Suffers a Miscarriage

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in Entertainment News

Kelsey McNeal/WE tv(NEW YORK) — Reality star Tami Roman and her boyfriend, Reggie Youngblood, suffered a miscarriage.

A rep for the couple, who currently star on WeTV’s Marriage Boot Camp, told TMZ the two are “mourning their loss with close friends and family. The couple requests prayers and privacy as they get through this difficult time.”  

Reportedly, Roman was three months pregnant.

Although Roman has two daughters from a previous relationship, it would’ve been the first child for Youngblood.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Song of The Day

This 19-Year-Old Will Spend the Next 25 Years as a Registered Sex Offender

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Zach Anderson, 19, and his parents are fighting to appeal his sentence and have his name removed from the sex offender registry. ABC News(ST. JOSEPH, Mich.) — When Les and Amanda Anderson went to pick up their son from a county jail in St. Joseph, Michigan, it was the first time they had seen him in two and half months.

“I was thinking just coming up here it’s like he shouldn’t be here,” Les Anderson said. “This, you know, it shouldn’t be happening.”

Since his release last month, their son Zach Anderson’s freedom has been severely restricted because at just 19 years old, Zach is a convicted sex offender.

Zach was arrested last winter after having sex with a girl he met on the dating app “Hot or Not,” who claimed she was 17. But she admitted to police that was a lie. She was really 14.

If he had known she was so young, Zach said, he never would have met her.

“I wouldn’t even have gone to her house, like I literally wouldn’t have gone to her house at all,” he said.

As a convicted sex offender, the terms of Zach’s probation are incredibly strict. For the next five years, he is forbidden from owning a smart phone or using the Internet. He is not allowed to talk to anyone under age 17, other than immediate family. He is banned from going to any establishment that serves alcohol and he has to be home before 8 p.m. every night.

“They make me out to be a monster,” Zach said. “I can’t even look at life regularly.”

His parents say his punishment is cruel and unusual, and they are waging a very public fight, even setting up a Facebook page, hoping to rally support for their son.

Zach graduated high school just last year. Like many teens, he turned to his smart phone to find a date one night. He says he was on the dating app “Hot or Not” for about a week when he started talking to the 14-year-old.

“[She] was actually the first person I had met up with or anything from that,” Zach said. “I had asked her when we were messaging. I said, ‘How old are you?’ And then she had told me 17… I just got out of high school. So it’s two years difference. I didn’t think that was a big deal or anything.”

The then-14-year-old girl falsely registered on the “adults” section of the dating app. Zach said after they connected, they flirted through text messages and arranged to meet in her hometown of Niles, Michigan, 20 miles across the state line from Zach’s home in Indiana.

“I had been with one other girl before that,” Zach said. “But she was 18, and I was 18, and I kind of just did it to get, you know, to do it, because I was 18.”

Zach picked the then-14-year-old girl up and they drove to a playground in Niles, where they had sex.

Unbeknownst to them, the girl’s mother had called police that night because she thought her daughter was missing. Two months later, detectives showed up at Zach’s job at a mechanic shop.

“I was in the middle of an oil change and my friend who was working there came into the back and was like, ‘There are two detectives here, Zach. They want to talk to you,’” Zach said. “And my hearts pounding like crazy so yeah I knew something was going down. I told my parents that night.”

Zach was arrested and eventually pleaded guilty to fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct. After admitting that she had lied about her age, the now 15-year-old and her mother even testified on Zach’s behalf at his trial.

According to court documents, the girl’s mother told the judge, “I don’t want him to be a sex offender because he really is not.” Her daughter added, “I feel nothing should happen to Zach.”

But the judge condemned what he called a culture of “meet, hook-up, have sex, sayonara, totally inappropriate behavior,” according to court documents. Zach was sentenced to 90 days in jail and ordered to register as a sex offender.

“The hardest part probably for me was to see him being led away, because he turned and looked at us, and it’s like, we want to give him a hug, and you don’t even have that opportunity,” said his father, Les Anderson.

Zach will be listed on the sex offender registry until 2040. His parents say the label is incredibly unfair.

“We don’t see him that way,” Les Anderson said. “If our son’s a sex offender, there’s a lot of other people on that list like him which dilutes the list, and it almost makes it meaningless.”

Making matters worse, Michigan, where the crime occurred, is a state that does not provide an automatic defense if the victim lies about her age.

“We’re not talking about loosening the law, no one’s indicating that someone who preys on a young adult in a predatory manner shouldn’t be prosecuted, they absolutely should be,” said Zach’s attorney Scott Grabel. “This is an instance in my opinion that you rarely get to say the defendant had no criminal intent, and I don’t think the defendant was even negligent in engaging in the encounter.”

Now on probation, Zach is trying to live his life as best he can within the restrictions of his probation. Since he is not allowed to use a computer, his budding career in computer science is now over.

“I could have had a really good career in that, and now I can’t do that,” he said. “I can’t really have an actual career. I’m going to be working a job, but not doing something I enjoy doing.”

Convicted sex offenders are forbidden from visiting any public park, which eliminated Zach’s favorite activity: skateboarding. He also wasn’t allowed to live in his parents’ house because it was 800 feet of a public boat ramp, just shy of the 1,000-foot distance minimum.

“They’re forcing him to leave jail, go to a house, and be by yourself, and be lonely basically,” Les Anderson said. “It wasn’t easy to find a place to live either. I mean because of all of the restrictions. You almost cannot live in the city here at all because you have to be so many feet from a school, a church.”

Zach’s parents were forced to dip into their savings for legal fees and to buy Zach a fixer-upper home on the other side of town that met the distance requirement.

Michigan state Sen. Rick Jones, who helped write the state’s sex offender registry law, says Zach should have been more careful.

“As you grow up, I mean young men are told you know in high school, 15 is jailbait,” Jones said. “Now that’s a slang term, but that’s what young men are told … I would hope that somebody who was 19 years old would say ‘Well do you have a driver’s license or something? You don’t appear to be the appropriate age.’”

Next week, the Andersons will go back to court to appeal Zach’s sentence. The goal is for Zach to be removed from the sex offender registry. But they say their fight is bigger than their son alone.

“We hope that they stop putting people on the sex offender registry like they’re passing out traffic tickets,” Amanda Anderson said. “There are hundreds and hundreds of people that don’t deserve to be on that list, and it’s supposed to be a safeguard for the community. And instead, they’re just publicly shaming these people and our son for life.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Alan Thicke Approves of Robin Thicke’s New Girlfriend

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in Entertainment News

Charles Sykes/Bravo(LOS ANGELES) — Robin Thicke’s new girlfriend, April Geary Love, gets a thumbs up from dad, Alan Thicke.

“She’s lovely,” Alan told E! News at the Vacation premiere in Los Angeles. “It’s a great time for him. [He has an] album coming out and April is there and supportive.”

The 18-year age gap between the 38-year-old “Blurred Lines” singer and his 20-year-old model girlfriend doesn’t seem to be much of an issue either.

“The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree,” Alan’s wife, Tanya Thicke, told E! “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

That’s because at 40, Tanya is 28 years younger than Alan, her husband of 10 years. 

She was quick to add, “I think it’s also very important that she’s also very mature. I think that says a lot. She’s a very mature young lady. A very beautiful, smart, mature young lady.”

Said Alan, “We like her a lot.”

Robin and Love went public with their romance in May during the Cannes Film Festival.

The singer’s divorce from ex-wife Paula Patton was finalized in March. They were married for 10 years and share 5-year-old son, Julian.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Nugget of Knowldege

Jets’ Sheldon Richardson Charged with Resisting Arrest, Speeding

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in Sports News

Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images(ST. LOUIS, Mo.) — New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson, fresh off a four-game suspension for use of marijuana, was charged with multiple traffic violations and resisting arrest following an incident earlier this month.

According to a release from the St. Charles County, Missouri, Prosecuting Attorney Tim Lohmar, Richardson is believed to be the driver of one of two vehicles seen driving at “exceedingly high rates of speed” on July 14. Officials claim Richardson’s vehicle was clocked at 143 mph. Richardson allegedly fled from officers, sped through a traffic light, turned off its vehicle lights and attempted to hide in a residential driveway.

Officers located the vehicle after they were able to see its brake lights. At that point, Richardson complied with a command to exit the vehicle and received multiple summonses.

Two other men and a minor were in the vehicle at the time of the incident, but were not charged.

Richardson is set to appear in court on Oct. 27 for arraignment.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



MH370 Probe: Recovered Airplane Part May Hold Clues About How Jet Went Down, Expert Says

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in World News

(NEW YORK) — The type of damage sustained by a piece of airplane debris that washed ashore on an island near Madagascar suggests that the plane likely did not suffer a high-speed, nose-down impact, one expert tells ABC News.

The debris, which engineers believe probably came from a Boeing 777, has sparked renewed speculation about the plight of MH370, a Boeing 777 that vanished on the way to Beijing in March 2014.

Authorities, who have not yet said definitively whether the debris comes from the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines jet, are nevertheless treating the piece of debris as a major lead in the case.

Based on preliminary observations, Former NTSB Aviation Safety Director Tom Haueter says the part –- identified by Malaysia Airlines as a “flaperon,” a wing component used for balance –- appears to have a pristine leading edge. The rear section, called the trailing edge, appears to be missing.

“To me, it indicates that it was not a high speed, high angle impact, because if that had happened, the leading edge would be crushed,” Haueter, an ABC News contributor, said. “What I don’t see is a severe nose down impact.”

The condition of the debris suggests the flaps were down at the time of the crash, possibly indicating that “somebody’s controlling the aircraft,” when it hit the water, said Haueter.

“The airplane wouldn’t have done that on its own,” he added. But if “you’re trying to land or ditch the airplane – you’d have the flaps folded down.”

Authorities are transporting the recovered debris to France for further examination.

Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappeared on March 8, 2014 with 239 passengers on board, all of whom are presumed dead. Investigators have spent the last year and a half combing the Indian Ocean for the wreckage.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Pet of the Week

One Day After Failed Trade, Carlos Gomez Dealt to Houston

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in Sports News

Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images(HOUSTON) — The Houston Astros bolstered their lineup in advance of the trade deadline on Thursday, acquiring Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Carlos Gomez less than a day after a trade involving Gomez to the New York Mets fell through.

On Wednesday night, reports of a Gomez trade to the Big Apple, where he began his career, were silenced for unspecified reasons. Speculation that the Mets were concerned about issues with Gomez’ hip was brought to the outfielder’s attention Thursday.

Gomez noted that he’s missed very little time in recent weeks. “I have no problem,” he said, according to ESPN. “I’m playing and I feel really sexy.”

Gomez was sent, along with pitcher Mike Fiers, to Houston in exchange for four prospects.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



University of Cincinnati Police Officer Pays Bond, Released from Prison

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office(CINCINNATI) — Officer Ray Tensing, charged in the shooting death of Sam Dubose, was released from a Cincinnati area prison on Thursday.

Tensing had been on suicide watch until his release at about 6:35 p.m. Thursday. Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office Major Charmaine McGuffy said at a press conference outside the jail that Tensing had not received any special treatment. The officer spent his time in protective custody unit and was well-guarded.

Tensing reportedly posted $100,000 cash bond, the standard 10 percent of the $1 million figure set by a judge on Wednesday.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Crusin In Cruces

Deliberations Begin in James Holmes Murder Trial

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by

Posted in National News

Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office(CENTENNIAL, Colo.) — The jury in the James Holmes murder trial went home Friday now without reaching a decision with plans to continue deliberation on Monday.

Jurors were told to arrive at the Arapahoe County Courthouse prepared for a marathon afternoon. On Thursday, the jury received instructions and heard closing arguments from both the defense and the prosecution. The jury is supposed to deliberate on phase two — whether the defense outweighed how Holmes committed the crime.

If jurors believe the defense has outweighed the manner of the crime, Holmes would receive life in prison. If they do not, a penalty phase would continue with jurors hearing from family and friends of victims and then choosing between life in prison or the death penalty.

The jury made no decision on Thursday, though.

The day in court was briefly interrupted when a woman who told officers she was homeless reportedly yelled out “don’t kill him.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Who’s On the Air?

Sizzlin’ Summer Cash

NM Lotto Sizzlin Summer Cash

KVLC-TV

KVLC-TV

2015 Springfest

Events

Live Broadcasts

P.O.T.W.

Pet of the Week

Events

Public Service Announcements

Now Playing

Request a song

Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Artist

Song

Message

 I am at least 18 years old (required)

Captcha

captcha
Enter the characters above here:

Facebook